Piers, Pageants, and Parades

What a fun weekend! Recap in reverse: I spent today wandering around the financial district (on the lookout for a sugar daddy of course) and had a lovely afternoon at the South Street Seaport and Pier 17. I also went to Century 21 for the first time, and it has a lot to offer though I will always prefer TJ Maxx for designer discounts. Yesterday I did a plethora of readings related to my directed study that I'm completing over the summer, and meanwhile prepared a lovely little lunch (polenta seared in garlic butter with sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan chicken, and steamed vegetables) for Courtney and myself. We then headed to 'fake' Shakespeare in the Park, which is at Riverside Park on Sundays for those who aren't cool enough to score tickets to the Central Park version. The production was rudimentary, but still a great little dash of culture to our weekend. We then met up with Jim and Rachel to chat over sorbet and watched the final part of the Miss USA Pageant. On Saturday, of course, we were at ... THE MERMAID PARADE. I can only handle Coney Island once a year, and I won't even tell you what was fried in with my Nathan's Hot Dog french fries, but the mermaids that 'washed ashore' ranged from creative to slutty, funny to intense, and there were some people who apparently did not get the mermaid part of the memo and just thought it was a dress-up-like-anything parade.